Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2002 21:31:11 -0500
From:      David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
To:        Wayne M Barnes <stabilizer@klentaq.com>, "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@corecode.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New sed breaks ports

On Wednesday 09 October 2002 09:16 pm, Wayne M Barnes wrote:
> Dear corecode,
>
>     I did a complete cvsup including the ports.
>     I did a complete make world.
>     I did a complete generic kernel install on the laptop.
>
>     Why are you mentioning 4.6.2?  I only mentioned 4.7-RC (although
> I am operating on memory here; it was RELENG_4 on Oct. 4 or 5.), and
> 4.7-PRELEASE.

He mentioned 4.6.2 because the MFC for sed to accept -i took place on June 26.
Hence, any -stable system after that date doesn't have a problem, but any
system based on RELENG_4_6 (including 4.6.2) does. However, those earlier
systems will automatically install sed_inplace from the ports. If you have a
kernel from later than June 26 but a userland from earlier, you will see
exactly the problem you're seeing (sed_inplace won't be installed since your
system is identified as not having the problem, but your old sed won't accept
-i).

No commits have been made to src/usr.bin/sed since there was a working version
there, hence our belief that your problem is local. It's true that my sed is
from October 2, when I last built world, but like I said, there haven't been
any commits to sed since then.

-David

--
When ideas fail, words come in very handy.
-Goethe

Astronomy and Astrophysics Center
The University of Chicago