Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 16:42:39 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        Kip Macy <kip@lyris.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern.maxfiles and kern.maxfilesperproc

On Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 04:23:19PM -0700, Kip Macy wrote:
> Thanks. Although having maxfiles == maxfilesperproc might make sense for
> special cases e.g. a machine completely dedicated to one process -- It is
> dangerous at best for the general case. Any malicious program can make a
> machine running FreeBSD non-functional. The default should be set with the
> average user in mind, namely protecting him from himself.

Agreed, although this protects not just the average user but also
everyone who doesn't want to fool with login.conf or reset their
sysctls or change their source, just to change a poorly-thought-
out default.

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                       "How do I read this file?"
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com                "You uudecode it."