Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 2002 20:25:32 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
Cc:        FreeBSD Security Issues <FreeBSD-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: access() is a security hole?

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, The Anarcat wrote:

> The access(2) manpage mentions an obscure security hole in
> access(2). How so?
>
> "
> CAVEAT
>      Access() is a potential security hole and should never be used.
> "
>
> This seems to have been part of the manpage forever, or so to speak,
> so I really wonder what it's talking about. :)

Race conditions. Rather than using access, the idea is presumably that
you drop privs and try to actually access the object, getting a file
handle in the process.

Canonical counterexample, IIRC, is samba.

Ever see something and think, "I've gotta leverage me some of that?"
Odds are, you were looking at a synergy and didn't even know it.