Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 23:21:44 -0700
From:      Drew Eckhardt <drew@PoohSticks.ORG>
To:        "Arthur Munn" <netbsdadvocate@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: header files for sockets

In message <F260a102Kz6dgo2S3AX0000e901@hotmail.com>, netbsdadvocate@hotmail.co
m writes:
>the header files they tell you to include are no longer correct.

The header files are pretty much standard.

>So
>what I would like to know is the header files I will need to include to work
>with sockets. If that is not specific enough, here is a brief summary of the
>system calls i will need to use:

Most if not all of the relevant system calls are prototyped in
<sys/socket.h>.  For reasons that made since when cave men wrote code on
stone tablets, <sys/*> usually don't include <sys/types.h>, so putting that
first would be a good idea.

Of course, for all properly documented library functions the man pages
give the header files, and you could always type

    man command

For example

    drew@revolt% man socketpair
    NAME
	 socketpair - create a pair of connected sockets

    LIBRARY
	 Standard C Library (libc, -lc)

    SYNOPSIS
	 #include <sys/types.h>
	 #include <sys/socket.h>

    ... etc.

--
For those who do, no explanation is necessary.
For those who don't, no explanation is possible.