Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:59:06 -0800
From:      Michael Morgan <michael.morgan@copleypress.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ethernet driver issue

Hello,

Running FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE default kernel

Getting this complaint at boot time:

xl0:  <#Com 3c905-TX Fast Etherlink XL> irq 11 at device 13.0 on pci0
xl0:  Couldn't map ports/memory
device_probe_and_attach:  xl0 attach returned 6

Looks like the driver could not find the I/O address for the card.  Is there
a way to pass this information to the driver from a config file?  I seem to
remember something on BSDi v3.1 for device probe over-ride.

There are other undetected PCI cards in my systems as well:

USR 56k modem with real UART (not winmodem)
Soundblaster Live  -- kernel rebuild needed
Reel Magic DVD Decoder -- not on hardware compat list

Hardware works ok under Win2k.

Thank you for building a great operating system.  I am especially impressed
with the Ports installation piece.  Appreciate any pointers you can give me.

Michael