Date:      Tue, 03 Apr 2001 10:04:03 -0400
From:      "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
To:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>, Dan Larsson <dl@tyfon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange localhost NS look attempts

On Tuesday, April 03, 2001 09:55:53 AM -0400, Kenneth W Cochran
<kwc@world.std.com> wrote:
+-----
| So, why should that be an invalid connection attempt?
| Looks to me like localhost should always be allowed to
| connect to itself... (?)
+--->8

If we ignore the LOG_IN_VAIN red herring, what's really happening here is
that you are running a nameserver on localhost which is returning some kind
of response after the querant (netscape?) has timed out (and therefore
closed its query socket).  So the real question is, why is the nameserver
timing out?

--
brandon s. allbery     [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]   allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator        [WAY too many hats]         allbery@ece.cmu.edu