Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:42:37 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: non valid host names

> >> Which will just make us behave like rest of the world.  I have tested
> >> resolvers on Solaris, Windows, MacOS X, MacOS 9, IRIX, Linux, AIX.
> >> They all will resolve a name with an underscore character.  Only the
> >> *BSD boxes fail because of the check.
> >
> > Actually, anyone who took the original ISC code, or the FreeBSD code,
> > will end up having problems.  Including AIX, Solaris, MacOS X.

> Unless they have modified the code which all the above OSes seem to
> have done since they do not show the behavior.

> >> Which is why I would argue that the patch should be committed, maybe
> >> with an option to enable it.  We are talking about the resolver, not a
> >> DNS or hostname server.  The resolver should resolve the name, be
> >> generous.  It just depends at what level you apply the maxim.  The
> >> check should be in the DNS server not in the resolver IMHO.
> >
> > You apply the maxim to each interface, seperately.  For example,
> > FreeBSD should not allow the configuration of host names with
> > "_" in them, but it should, perhaps, permit them to be looked up.

> I can agree with this statement. Unfortunately, FreeBSD doesn't
> do this in many ways. Example, you can set a hostname with a
> underscore in it. You can even use an underscore in the name in
> the host file and everything will work. You just can't look up
> the name via DNS.

One of the first times I brought up a DNS server was about 1994 for
a local community college.  'twas a mixed bag and the only Unix
system was their internet gateway - with everyting else being
Novell except the mail handlers locally being OS/2.

At that time they had machines with underscores - I believe they
were the OS/2 machines.  I told them they should make plans to
change them as the underscore was being eliminated.  They did
nothing until three years later - '97 or '98 - when they started
having problems.

There has been plenty of warnings so I have no sympathy for those
who had 8 years to plan for this.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com