Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2001 22:35:19 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: repeating medium errors and error from "camcontrol defects"

On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 00:35:27 +0200, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
> Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 12:21:56 +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> [snip]
> > Then, write zeroes to the bad block to force the drive to remap it.
>
> I'm not really sure this always work. the way I use to remap bad
> block is to make a read check using the SCSI BIOS controller (TEKRAM
> and probably ADAPTEC allow this at boot time), when errors are
> encountered, the BIOS asks you whether or not you want to remap the
> defective block. so, I'm sure that bad blocks are remapped since it
> asks me to do something.

That'll work as well, but it takes a while to do a verify on an entire
disk.

I think that in most cases, writing to the bad block, if you have AWRE
turned on, will cause the block to get remapped.  That is, unless, the
drive is somehow able to write to the block but can't read it.

You can detect that case by just trying to read the block once you've
written it.  If you can read it, it has likely been remapped.  (Unless the
drive can just "magically" read that block again.)

The "right" solution to this would probably be to implement something in
camcontrol similar to the BIOS verify routines that would then give the
user the option of remapping a bad block, writing zeroes to it, etc.

An adjunct to this command would be a separate camcontrol command to allow
the user to remap a specific block.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry