Date:      29 May 2002 21:54:09 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        john_m_cooper@yahoo.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problems with PC-Partner motherboards?

On Tue, 2002-05-28 at 18:33, John Merryweather Cooper wrote:
> Amanda appears to work the system pretty hard as the CPU spikes up about
> 20 deg. C (from 65 deg. C to 85 deg. C--still within the operating
> limits of 90 deg. C from the documentation--but a tad toasty).  After
> amanda completed (takes about 2 hours on my system to back up a 60 Gig
> set of partitions), the CPU temperature settles down again.
>
> As you've observed, the freeze is "hard"--getting in with a debugger
> appears futile and I need to hit the reset switch to get things moving
> again--CTRL-ALT-DEL has no effect.
>
> I'm also wondering if this has anything to do with the tagged queing
> going south early in 4.5-STABLE (the tagged sysctl is currently disabled
> in my loader.conf with a comment).  No real reason to think so, just a
> generalized feeling that all is not quite right.

Hmmm.. I've tried it with a motherboard which uses an identical chipset
(Epox made) and they work fine.

Maybe there is some issue with the CPU temp - I will have to see if I
can tell the temp on this mobo.

My guaranteed killer is to run

[ vty 1 ]
find -x /bigpart -type f -exec md5 {} \;

[ vty 2 ]
cd /usr/src
while (1)
make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
end

Which I would guess increase the CPU temp (like a lot of things :)

I will try just md5'ing a small file in a loop which should just make
the CPU hot.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5