Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 11:32:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        thomas@dcbru.be (Thomas Pedersen)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network card compatibility

> I am trying to install this great system but I seem to have run into
> problems with regards to my network card. It's a ADM PCNET Family
> Ethernet PCI adapter. Is there some way of making the installation
> process and later FreeBSD recognise the network controller ?

1)	Find out what IRQ and base address it is set to.  You should
	have gottent a configuration floppy with your system, or it
	will be in one of the BIOS/CMOS setup screens.

2)	boot BSD -c.  Use the "visual" mode to tell the if_le (LANCE)
	ethernet driver the interrupt and base address.  You may have
	to disable all uninstalled hardware, since the LANCE chipset
	is broken: it does not allow for a non-destructive probe.  It's
	not broken otherwise, just in how you have to probe it.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.