Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 12:54:14 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Cc:        Jeremy Sigmon <jsigmon@www.hsc.wvu.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.x release question

> 1) More pounding on devfs (is it planned as a standard feature installed
> by sysinstall, or more of an optional feature installed by hand?)

The latter. AFAIK, Julian still hasn't solved the persistance problem
(though we discussed a number of different ways it could be done
fairly trivially and I don't know what's holding him up) and people running
with it as their /dev still show an unfortunate tendency to crash a lot,
so no.

> So the way I see things (and since I'm not a core team person, this is
> just my opinion), FreeBSD 2.2 could easily be released by Christmas, or
> even the end of November.  I think if the core team puts the squeeze on

NFS weirdness seems to be the #1 monster under the bed with 2.2 -
might some of you folks out there with multiple machines be willing to
assist John and Doug with some stress-testing?  If you can find and
reproduce bugs yourselves, that's even better (e.g. they need someone
to help play QA team on NFS).

					Jordan