Date:      Mon, 03 Aug 1998 08:15:10 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        david@sparks.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   Re: malloc question

> memory" errors on my 2.2.6R system. My login_class is root, and bash
> reports "unlimited" for shell datasize limits.  vm.maxdsize, a possible
> problem on a bsdi system, doesn't seem to exist on FreeBSD.

How about "max memory size" and "max virutal memory" that you can
set, too?  My /etc/login.conf (from -stable a few weeks ago) has
one memory limit still set for root.

vm.maxdsize sounds like the FreeBSD option MAXDFLSIZ which you can
set in your kernel configuration.  See LINT for an example.

> What am I missing?  I must be able to run a 130 MB program on a 160 MB
> system:)

Yeah, sure.  The default constants for i386 systems seems to limit
text size to 128 MByte, but if you really need that large programs
you can increase that in your kernel configuration.  :-)

Stefan.
--
Stefan Eggers                 Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4,
Max-Slevogt-Str. 1            ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.