Date:      Sun, 10 Jan 1999 23:38:53 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: State of the union, 1999.

At 9:17 AM +0900 1/11/99, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
>-kevin- wrote:
>>
>> I know this may sound trite but any time I introduce someone to
>> FreeBSD they inevitably ask, "What's the deal with the demon?"
>> So my suggestion is that we change our mascot to something more
>> benign.
>
> WHAT???? Chuck is our only clear advantage over Linux!!!!!
>         <ducks for cover>

The daemon is supposed to be nameless.
not "Chuck"...

And as to the original poster, I sometimes wonder too.  I do
understand that the daemon is not intended as any connection
to any real or imaginary devilish being.  At the same time, I
can't help but think that I'm interested in freebsd for a
variety of principles -- such as open source, attention to detail,
a divorce between operating-system-releases and application
packages, and rock-solid operating systems.  Correcting people's
understanding of the word "daemon" is not high on my own list of
priorities, no matter how entertaining that might be.

Still, I do think it's beneficial to have some common link
between the three open-source BSD projects, and I can't
imagine getting all three groups to agree to some new mascot.
Actually, I have a fair amount of trouble imagining even one of
the groups agreeing to a new mascot, because we're so amused at
having our own little inside joke about "Chuck" (well, if he
were to be named Chuck, that is).  When it comes right down to
it, it's also hard to argue that a penguin portrays all that
much more of a serious and committed image than a red daemon
does, so I try to advocate FreeBSD based on the principles I'm
interested in, and hope I don't waste too much time trying to
explain the history of the mascot.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute