Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 19:22:14 +0930
From:      Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Windows as opposed to Other OS's

On Sat, 14 Sep 2002 17:49, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Brian writes:
> > But that's not a fair comparison of the O/S.
>
> It's the comparison that a normal user makes, and that's what counts.
>
> > What you are saying here is "Windows XP cam
> > pre-installed; FreeBSD did not."
>
> Even if I had installed it from a CD, it would have been up and running in
> a few minutes.  A windowed desktop environment under UNIX could take hours
> or days to set up.

Total unadulterated crap on both counts.
Windoze will take anything up to about 55mins (depending on the version and
the hardware).
FBSD will take only a little less, but might also need up to15-20 minutes of
tweaking with text files and recompiling the kernel, depending on local
requirements.
Overall, the difference in install times is not great enough to deserve
mention.

By all means make comparisons - but please base them on information, not
imagination.

BTW - Yes!  I HAVE installed various flavours of Windoze and FBSD.

--
Regards,
Brian