Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 10:36:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pcvt/132 columns

> (ELF-aware boot loaders)
>
> > 1)	Which of these two will FreeBSD support by default?
>
> Both.  One has been submitted as patch against the FreeBSD bootstrap,
> the other one is a standalone product.

Again, which will FreeBSD *support* by default?  Until I can CVSup the
piece down, it is unsupported.

> > 2)	When?
>
> Right now (at least GRUB -- i'm afraid the old patch is stale
> meanwhile).
>
> Sure, it's another matter when FreeBSD might start to use ELF as the
> default kernel format.  However, perhaps John first needs to integrate
> his ELFkit into the regular tree.  That's something like a
> prerequisite...

John wanted to do this (his last posting about it in -current makes it
clear), but was facing opposition.  I don't think everyone is on the
ELF boat, yet.  Unless John's patches for ABI stamping make it back to
the GCC camp, I'm kind of iffy about using it as the default as well,
even if I remain convinced that it's the direction FreeBSD should be
going.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org