Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 09:52:01 +0100
From:      regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk (Philippe Regnauld)
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pcvt/132 columns

Michael Smith (msmith) ecrit/writes:

> The SVGATextmode stuff had been done for FreeBSD, and if I thought it
> was worth the effort, I'd try to help Soren get it working.  As it is,
> a $60 PCI video card gives more than enough X grunt for snazzy text modes
> to be a complete waste of time.

	Right you are.  But even though we workstation-monitor weenies may
	be on the way to extinction, in the meantime:

	a) It's nice to have 10200 (170x60) chars on the screen when you code
	   in text mode (with moused, it's even better -- see below)

	b) It's nice not to have the monitor re-sync (2 seconds on some
	   stupid so-called 17" multi-sync that should have never come
	   off the design board)

	Referring to a), BTW -- since snazzy text modes are such a waste of
	time, how come Søren went to the pains of implementing moused ?

	Don't tell me it's just to plant a flag and say, "There, we have
	GPM like the Linuxites".  Otherwise he'd have imported GPM, no... ?

	Oh well, I guess I'll go back to Screen and hjkl copy/paste.

	Sorry for the hard tone, and yes I did read your following message
	regarding Julian's work -- and yes, I should just STFU and put my
	head down to a better design.

--
							-- Phil

-[ Philippe Regnauld   /   Systems Administrator   /    regnauld@prosa.dk ]-