Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:12:32 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is HIDE_POSIX & HIDE_BSD?

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 03:58:16PM -0500, Zhihui Zhang wrote:

> While adding a system call, I notice in file syscall-hide.h there are
> many instances of HIDE_POSIX() and HIDE_BSD(). What is the purpose of
> these macros?  Maybe they are now obsolete?

The syscalls-hide.h file was generated from sys/kern/makesyscalls.sh
from the third field of sys/kern/syscalls.master - POSIX, BSD or NOHIDE.
However, three months ago Poul Henning-Kamp removed the syscalls-hide.h
file and the relevant parts of makesyscalls.sh.  I think that this may
be scheduled for MFC'ing some time in the future, but you might have
to ask phk for specifics.

Also, I would also like to know what was the original purpose of
the POSIX/BSD/NOHIDE distinction.  BTW, should that field be removed
from syscalls.master, too?

G'luck,
Peter

--
If wishes were fishes, the antecedent of this conditional would be true.