Date:      Fri, 12 May 1995 13:43:02 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@cs.weber.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Apache + FreeBSD 2.0 benchmark results (fwd)

On Thu, 11 May 1995, Terry Lambert wrote:

> It's clear, but it's redundant.  All forking is "demand forking", in
> that a fork will not occur unless you "demand" it by calling "fork".

    I suppose it depends on your point-of-view.  Traditional httpd's
will fork when a client demands a connection.  NCSA httpd 1.4 in
"forkless" mode does not.  It does all the forking and execing at the
beginning (on demand from the master httpd, but not from the HTTP
client) and, in most cases, does not fork when a client wants a
connection.  I suppose I'll stick with it just to make a clear
distinction between the two.

> My car has "demand start".  8-).

    Ah, but not all do.  I used to own a car that didn't have demand
starting, especially on a cold Canadian winter morning.  ;-)

> > Perhaps a new httpd could be modelled on IRC.  *shudder*  :)
>
> Please, no!  The model is not that effecient in the first place, and
> the IRC server is as bad a code example as most muds in the second!

    Okay, okay... just kidding.  ;-)

> That's the wonderful thing about CS terms -- there are so many to choose
> from.  What you have is an I/O Dispatching server according to what I've
> been taught .

    A term I've heard running around the httpd circles is a "salad
shooter" server.  Apparently there is a product of American marketing
genius that consists of a handheld piece of kitchen equipment shaped
and held like a gun.  One drops various salad ingredients into one end
of the implement, some sort of mechanical processing takes place
inside the contraption, and out the business end of the gun comes a
"stream of salad".  You aim this thing at a lunch patron's bowl, and
fire.  Amazing.  I've not seen this ad (sounds like something that
would come on after the late, late night movie), but I'm told it can
shoot several streams of salad at once, analagous to a single
information server process that can handle multiple data streams.

    Am I making any sense?  ;-)
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org