Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 14:50:38 +0200 (EET)
From:      Andrey Simonenko <simon@comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>
To:        Christian M?nk <sajuuk@operamail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No route to host

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 12:33:31 +0000 (UTC) in lucky.freebsd.questions, Christian M?nk  wrote:
> Hello FreeBSD Team.
> My name is Christian and I have a problem.
> I looked through the FAQ and the docs about the prob. when you get the No route to host reply when trying to ping. But my nic is intact. I made some Kernel configurations cause I want this one PC act as a router. So I thought something with all the stuff I changed is wrong. So I # everything out in the rc.conf that might cause the problem. Even though, what I as a beginner don?t like is that there are so many examples out there about how to config your system to act as a router. Is there no main script that includes it all? Well so much for that one.
> Hopefully you guys can help me, since I?m totally down cause I?m working on that prob. 4 days now.
> Thanks in advance.

Follow this steps:

1. Configure your kernel to see your NICs in dmesg(8) output.

2. Add "ifconfig_fxp0=inet 10.10.10.10 netmask 255.255.255.0" like strings to
/etc/rc.conf file and check if your NICs have correct IP addresses. Use
ifconfig(8) command for this.

3. Add default route for your computer with the defaultrouter parameter
in /etc/rc.conf. If you use, for example, pppd(8), then read documentation
for pppd(8) how to set default route.

4. Then try to send packets to some hosts no in your LAN.

5. Say your computer to be a router with the gateway_enable variable in
/etc/rc.conf.

6. ... try to do above steps first.