Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 1998 11:16:49 +0200
From:      Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr (Pierre Beyssac)
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp), gljohns@bellsouth.net (Glenn Johnson), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: error when compiling kernel with SOFTUPDATES

According to Greg Lehey:
> >> Wouldn't it have been possible to hide this change with a macro, like
> >> was done with the reorganization of the buffer headers under 2.2.6?
> > no.
>
> Yes.  Prove me wrong.  And yes, I know that the form you chose makes
> it almost impossible, but that's no excuse.

I don't know if it would be a good idea to hide the change with a macro,
if that's what you mean. Adding a function call like getmicrotime() helps
encapsulate dependencies on the clock code. Things like that are a big
win in general. Redefining "time" as a macro would make the code a
little less obvious about that, IMHO.

On the other hand, for performance reasons and to make the generated
code be as similar as possible with the code prior to the
getmicrotime'isation, it would certainly be very interesting to define
getmicrotime() and possibly others getxxxx() friends as macros.
--
Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr