Date:      Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:52:01 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Robert Backhaus <robbak@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Package managment

--qcHopEYAB45HaUaB

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 10:45:11PM +1000, Robert Backhaus wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2005 6:28 PM, Jan Sebosik <sebosik@demax.sk> wrote:
> > Hi
> >=20
> > I`ve got one simple question: if i`ve built packages on my freebsd
> > 5.3-RELEASE system, do I need to rebuilt them again for 5.4-RELEASE
> > (after downloading && compiling from sources) ?
> >=20
> > Best regards,
> > Jan Sebosik
g"
> >=20
> With care, in many situations, you should be able to get away with it.
> Problems occur with ports that contain kernel modules (ltmdm,
> nvidia-driver). There have also been major changes within ports (new
> gtk versions, and a gnome upgrade) which will make partial rebuilding
> hazardous.
>=20
> Most of us would recommend a general rebuild, for safety's sake.

I certaintly would not.  Unless you actually need to upgrade, there
is no reason to rebuild between minor OS upgrades.  If your programs
stop working in that case, it's usually a bug.  For that matter, most
application will work if compiled on an older major version.

-- Brooks

--=20

--qcHopEYAB45HaUaB

--qcHopEYAB45HaUaB--