Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 18:39:30 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@iafrica.com>
To:        Pierre Beyssac <beyssac@enst.fr>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE CDROM not found with PIIX4 chipset, -current kernel

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 17:16:53 +0100, Pierre Beyssac wrote:

> I tried to find out why it worked with a Linux kernel by comparing
> our IDE code and theirs, but it was way beyond my comprehension.
> I'm not trained for the black magic of IDE probing.

I used this particular issue for the launch of my first adventure into
serial console kernel debugging. Multo fun.

I can offer you two interesting points:

1) I have an ATAPI drive that FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE won't detect on boot if
   it contains a disc.

2) I found that stepping through the kernel caused exactly the same
   problems I was having with accessing my one ATAPI drive that I
   experience just running normally with my other drive. So it looks
   like at least one problem regarding ATAPI has to do with timings.

So far, the conversations I've had with clueful FreeBSD hackers have led
me to accept the following:

A) The ATAPI standard is weak and the variety of implimentations thereof
   is even worse.

B) The odds that your ATAPI CDROM drive will behave predictably in
   accordance with said standards are directly proportional to its age.
   It seems that newer (24xspeed+) drives suck.

C) The ATAPI code in FreeBSD is about as good as our hackers care to
   make it, given the demotivating impact of A and B above.

I spent a good few days stepping around my kernel over serial
connection, using a "working" 4xspeed drive and a "broken" 36xspeed
drive and testing a reproducible fault with cdcontrol. I'm a pretty
stubborn guy, but I gave up.

Ciao,
Sheldon.