Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 2010 23:30:08 +0100
From:      Tijl Coosemans <tijl@coosemans.org>
To:        gianrico.lamura@lamia.infm.it, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MATLAB in FreeBSD

On Monday 04 January 2010 20:02:56 gianrico.lamura@lamia.infm.it wrote:
> I have followed your suggestions but the installer does not start
> anymore. It diplays the following:
> "
> [gianrico@Gianrico /]$ /compat/linux/bin/sh /home/gianrico/CDmatlab/install
> expr: illegal option -- r
> usage: expr [-e] expression
> /home/gianrico/CDmatlab/install: line 197: [: -ne: unary operator expected
> /home/gianrico/CDmatlab/install: line 705: /lib/libc.so.6: cannot execute
> binary file
>
>     An error status was returned by the program 'xsetup',
>     the X Window System version of 'install'. The following
>     messages were written to standard error:
>
>         /usr/home/gianrico/CDmatlab/update/bin/glnx86/xsetup: error while
> ries: libXp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
>     Attempt to fix the problem and try again. If X is not available
>     or 'xsetup' cannot be made to work then try the terminal
>     version of 'install' using the command:
>
>             install* -t    or    INSTALL* -t

>     Sorry! Setup aborted . . .
>
> "
> But I have noticed that the systems now has /lib/libc.so.7 instead of
> /lib/libc.so.6. For this reason I changed /lib/libc.so.6 into
> /lib/libc.so.7 everywhere in the install command. The permission problems
> remeined. Thus I have tried to change permissions on /lib/libc.so.7 file
> with a) konqueror superuser, b) teminal superuser, c) sudo . Result: there
> is now way to change permissions of that library.
>
> what shall I do?

/lib/libc.so.7 is a FreeBSD library. /lib/libc.so.6 can found under
/compat/linux and Linux programs will use that one. You should undo any
changes you made in the install script.

To fix the expr error you have to create the following symlink:
ln -s ../usr/bin/expr /compat/linux/bin/expr

This is perhaps something the linux_base-f10 port should have done for
you.

To emulation@: Linux has expr under /usr/bin and FreeBSD has it under
/bin, so running expr in a Linux shell picks up the FreeBSD version
causing errors about unsupported command line options. It would be nice
if the linux_base-f10 port created the symlink above to fix this.

For the error about libXp.so.6, check if you have the port
x11/linux-f10-xorg-libs installed.

> I was wonder if I have to install FreeBSD_8 and KDE 4 ( as in new release
> PC-BSD galileo 7.1) to solve problems of linux library compatibility or
> just FreeBSD and after KDE4 (that seems the same)??

No, you'll have these same problems there.