Date:      Sun, 19 May 2002 21:50:04 +1000
From:      Robert Backhaus <robbak@comnorth.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Dns -> dhcp - non-null pointer/no hostname

I have a problem with DNS & DHCP, causing the following errors -

May 19 13:37:58 freebie dhcpd: dns.c(424): non-null pointer

May 19 13:38:14 freebie dhcpd: if IN A  doesn't exist add 43200 IN A  172.24.99.249: resolver failed.
(Note the two spaces after the 'A's and the absence of the hostname.

This happens for my BSD client, but a winME & XP machines work perfectly,
so it appears to be a config prob. with the freeBSD box.

I found a solution (Untested by me) for fixing the same/very similar  prob on a
Mandrake install, with it's messed up config file locations etc. I quote it
below.

If this is the same problem, could someone give me pointers on how to  adapt
the istructions to the rc- scripts.

Thanks.

--Quote from dhcp-server newsgroup

   *** From dhcp-server -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. *** On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 08:04:48PM -0500, Rubin Bennett wrote:

> I use Mandrake 7.2 on my laptop with a RH6.2 DHCP server (and have
> hooked up to an NT network as well).  My hostname is defined prior to
> dhcp config...  I don't use dynamic DNS however.  When I boot up, I
> get an IP address just fine no matter what the server, so I'm thinking
> Rasmus is right; try explicitly defining the hostname prior to DHCP
> request.
This is a bug I ran into with Mandrake 7.2, and fixed - mostly.  I
reported it on some forum or other.  Too damn much noise on the Mandrake
site(s), so I'm not sure where.  :(
You need to change /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup, and remove the
following line: . /etc/sysconfig/network Move this to right before the line that says "IPSETUP=no".  The problem
is that the /etc/sysconfig/network contains the name of the computer
(and hence what to send to the DHCP server), but it isn't sourced until
after the DHCP client has started.
This couldn't have ever worked, even once.  Am I the only one who reads
this stuff?  A-hem.  ;)
There's still a problem in that Mandrake puts your fully-qualified
hostname in /etc/sysconfig/network.  Change the DHCP_HOSTNAME to simply
the hostname (i.e. rather than "ima.bubba.to" use "ima"), and you're
set.
If you use the DrakConf to change your hostname in the future,
you'll have to edit this again. Shane

--End Quote---

- The opinions Expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of the
author.

Robert Backhaus
Robbak@comnorth.com.au