Date:      Tue, 05 May 1998 13:25:15 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.tera.com>, dg@root.com
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: InfoWorld brawl esclates

At 11:08 AM 5/5/98 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:

>	One reason we humans have survived these score millennia
>	is because cooperation precedes competition.  Individual
>	effort sometimes yield brilliant results; cooperative,
>	maximum.  Both operating systems would gain if features
>	from each were shared.
>
>	Both the *BSD and *Linux OS's agree with the free software
>	paradigm; it's a matter of degree.

One would certainly hope so! But tune in to that InfoWorld forum
to see what's actually going on. Anyone who critiques the GPL
is *immediately* branded a "Linux basher," a "zealot," or worse.
Ditto anyone who points out areas in which FreeBSD has advantages
over Linux. The rhetoric is *nasty*, guys.

One can interpret all of this in different ways, but my take is
that it's because Richard Stallman's vision -- which seeks to preclude
the development of commercial software wherever possible -- relies on
compelling authors to use the GPL. The presence of any alternative
to the GPL -- and, especially, publicizing it -- throws a monkey wrench
into the works! Hence the fury of those who bash the BSDs and tout
the GPL as essential to the collaborative development of software.

What can folks do? The key things to say are as follows:

1. The Berkeley-style license is an alternative to the GPL, and it has
been shown to be at least equally effective in promoting the development
of free software.

2. In addition, the Berkeley-style license promotes the development of
commercial software, which is advantageous to all developers and to
consumers.

3. FreeBSD, which is published under a Berkeley-style license, is every
bit as good as Linux and is superior in many respects.

All of these points are PROVABLY correct. Nonetheless, one will often
be flamed for making them. I think the correct thing to do is to make
them anyway, then walk away from the flames.

--Brett Glass