Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 00:08:28 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Cc:        abe <abe@informationwave.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fatal trap 12 kernel panic

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 12:46:36AM -0400, abe wrote:
> >     Unfortunately, feedback sent while in good intentions did not
> > help.  However, in further tinkering with this issue I believe I've
> > come to a conclusion.  I run a rather high-traffic server so I had
> > initially increased net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_buckets to 500, from the
> > default 256
>
> ah... i think the bucket size has to be a power of two (and I thought
> the kernel would check that the value is correct, but i might have missed
> something).

It does check.  There's a bug in the allocation code, though, where
if it fails the allocation, it can take something that was working,
and make it non-working.  It can also fail the initial allocation,
and drop into the rest of the code, if the value is changed before
the startup.

See my last posting for a patch for these.

I still think the problem is related to the number of requests on
a particular UDP socket from too many sources: the failure is in
the UDP send path for dynamic rule insertion, which imlies that it's
a UDP response.  Probably, you could use this to get a packet in that
you shouldn't be able to get in, BTW, by abusing a response from an
allowed request to make an illegal request (I'm not that into the
ipfw code, though).

-- Terry