Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 1998 00:40:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Lanny Baron <beef@cybertouch.org>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD and Linux

	Hmm seems like some kind of war. Just what the other camp wants.
Maybe some ppl should get together, offer shares or go after some venture
capital and start marketing FreeBSD well.

	Just yesterday I went down to the University of Toronto. To the
main bookstore on campus. I did find FreeBSD 2.2.7. But I must be honest
and say that I found several different versions (for a lack of better
words) of Linux. Well one very good thing can be said (assuming I know
enough ...which I  probably don't) and that is, FreeBSD is ONE. Sort of
all encompassing.

	Part of the problem might be that there is not a lot for business
applications made for the FreeBSD platform (and if they are for accounting
for example, they should not be for free). Genesys did point out to me a
company which sells a true file server, uses FreeBSD and does NOT state
that the operating system for their file-server is FreeBSD. That sucks.

	You have that little daemon pic on all your cd's and on Mr.
Lehey's book The Complete FreeBSD. Damn that is a good pic. Why don't you
do marketing with that? Get posters, get brochures. Shit send them to me
and I will go to the University of Toronto and get them in the book store
not to mention the large chain stores.

	I have hooked up with a well known person in the FreeBSD community
to attempt to make a accounting system (gui) for the FreeBSD os. But as
you are aware or should be, it is massive. I have talked with friends
(accountants--c.a's in the u.s. they are certified public accountants) and
they say that this is a huge undertaking. That is one of the reasons I
needed to learn about samba.

	Anyway, I would not hit the panic button. For one thing FreeBSD is
far easier to install than Linux is. But if you can either get a public
offering of shares or some venture capital, you certainly have the human
resources in the FreeBSD community to "kick ass"

Now go do it.

Lanny