Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 12:40:22 -0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Marcelo <bsdq@stgo.cl>, Jawwad Ahmed Shamsi <jshamsi@umd.umich.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: max swap size?

On Friday, 17 March 2000 at 19:56:03 +0000, Marcelo wrote:

> Hello,
> I installed FreeBSD on a machine that has 256 megs in RAM.
> So I gave it a swap partition of  500 megs, But when I to "top" it says
> that I have a total of 256 megs swap.
> Is the swap limit 256 megs?

No, you can have much more than that.  I don't know if there's any
limit, but if there is, it's very much higher.  I use a 512 MB swap
partition.

> I tried to seperate it into 2 partitions of 256 megs but then I had
> trouble activating both swap patitions.  The system would just mount
> one.

In general, it's a bad idea to have two swap partitions on one drive,
since you're likely to have more positioning during swap.  If this is
what you've done, and they're physically contiguous, you should merge
them.  You'll need to boot in single-user mode to do this.

On the other hand, two swap partitions should work.  What does your
/etc/fstab look like?  You should have entries for both of them.  What
happens when you issue a swapon command for the other partition?  What
does 'pstat -s' say?

On Friday, 17 March 2000 at 18:12:00 -0500, Jawwad Ahmed Shamsi wrote:
> usually freebsd requires a size of 2.5 times the size of your ram.

This is not correct.  The amount of swap that FreeBSD requires depends
on the application.  It may be none at all, or it may be much more.  I
once inadvertently did a 'make world' on a machine without swap, and
it completed normally.

Greg