Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 15:43:24 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   remotely restoring over a live working system

A disk in remote 4.5-stable box started to develop bad clusters.  The
hosting company replaced the drive for me.  I now have a 4.5-RELEASE
system (they have 4.5-RELEASE drives as stock items).

The defective drive is almost mounted in this box.  I'm tempted to tar the
old disk over to the new disk and get everything back running that way.
It's that or upgrade to stable, install about 30 or so packages, and
manually configure everything.

How feasible is copying from ad2 to ad0 given that I'm booting and running
off ad0?  My thoughts are that it's faster but higher risk.

cheers
--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/ - practical examples