Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 20:38:07 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Weber-Fahr <listmail@helena.callcenter.systemhaus.net>
To:        tomoaki@biol.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp (Tomoaki NISHIYAMA)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, bsd-nomads@clave.gr.jp
Subject:   Re: pcmcia ethernet installation trouble

Hello,

> From: Christoph Weber-Fahr <listmail@helena.callcenter.systemhaus.net>

[trying to install from boot-pao.flp (2.2.8) via a Fiberline FL-4680
ethernet card on a Toshiba T1910. Problem is - ed0 doesn't turn up
as a device in the setup dialogue]

> > Hi,
> > There is debug output on the second console screen. Anything to look for ?
> What is on the screen?

[writtten down from screen. Typos are mine]
DEBUG: ioctl(3,TIOCCONS,NULL)=0 (success)
Card Inserted, slot0
DEBUG: Term = cons25
Code 240, not found
Code 240, not found
code unknown, ignored
DEBUG: found a network device named lp0
DEBUG: found a floppy device for /dev/fd0
DEBUG: found a disk device named wd0
DEBUG: found a dos partition wd0s2 on drive wd0

> Do you have any information on what the pcic chip is?

Unfortunately not. I don't have manuals of the machine, and the manual
Text on Toshiba's Web Site doesn't say much either:

  PCMCIA slot:         14.5mm PCMCIA Version 2.01 compliant slot supports
  [Illustration]       Type I, II, or III cards, such as modems and removable
                       hard disk drives. Maximum slot thickness: 16mm

> And if you have any operating system, maybe windows, on the machine,
> can you tell what the pcic is recognized by the system?

I have W95 OSR2 there. It says: Standard PCMCIA Driver. I did not
find a more pricise information. Is there a place where it gives more
information ?

> You may also check what irq and address they are assigned?

11, 3E0-3E1

> And the next question is how do you know that the card is
> recognized and assined to ed0.

After asking for the usual parameters and the initialization phase
it opens a window saying (second line: ... assigned to ed0).

> Finally, please mail these to bsd-nomads@clave.gr.jp,

Done (note cc:).

Regards, and thanks in advance,

Christoph Weber-Fahr