Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 2008 11:16:28 -0700
From:      Sean Bruno <sbruno@miralink.com>
To:        Dieter <freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
Cc:        freebsd-firewire@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: This is where I'm going with fwcontrol

Dieter wrote:
> More nit picking  :-)
>
> Should
>

>> Message ID  Root ID  R T Gap Count
>>    00(2 bits)  (5 bits)    1 1    (6 bits)
>>

> be
>
> Message ID   Root ID    R  T   Gap Count
> 00(2 bits)   (6 bits)   1  1   (6 bits)
>
> send_phy_config() ANDs root_node with 0x3f, and the
> "Physical ID" field in the controller register is
> 6 bits.

Well, according to the 1394 documentation, no.  The root ID is
definitely 5 bits.

The gap count is also 5 bits, I must have mis-counted.  So, really it
should be:

Message ID   Root ID    R  T   Gap Count
00(2 bits)   (5 bits)   1  1   (5 bits)

This means that the Root ID and the Gap Count cannot exceed 0x3f(63).
So, the masking
of the values instead of generating and error seems wrong to me.  I'm
going to put in error checking
to make sure the values comply with the specification and document the
correct values in the man page
and the comments of the code.

--
Sean Bruno