Date:      Tue, 03 Nov 1998 09:53:17 +0000
From:      Stuart Henderson <stuart@internationalschool.co.uk>
To:        "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: df hangs on 2.2.6-BETA

"Viren R. Shah" wrote:

> Whenever I do a "df" on the system, the df process  hangs, and can't
> be killed. Has anyone seen this before? The system still does
> everything else fine.

Sounds like it may be an NFS mount that isn't there any more. Any process trying
to access it will block and can't be killed (I think you can set a mount option
in /etc/fstab or the command line to make it so if things get in this state you
can kill them - see manpages - I think it's the 'intr' flag)[1]. These can be
rather tricky to get rid of without rebooting...(sometimes if you recreate the
NFS mount on the machine it's mounted from you can get there). If you have been
using rumba and didn't use the unrumba command to unmount, learn to do so.
<grin>

> Any ideas? The box has been up for a while:
> And, unless it is absolutely necessary, we don't want to reboot it.

As you are running a beta version anyway that's pretty good uptime as it stands.
Go ahead, reboot it. At least you can *schedule* it :-) It's uncontrolled
reboots that are the problem.

Stuart

[1] the way it works *is* good behaviour in the usual case where a NFS server is
rebooted, because clients accessing it will just wait for it to come back online
and continue where they left off.