Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 1996 14:44:17 +0100 (MET)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        greg@uswest.net, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com
Subject:   Re: Another data point in the daily panics...

According to Joe Greco:

> > >  Recall, this is a 386DX-33, 8MEG, IDE controller, sio  ports, running
> > > my news and mail and SL/IP connections.
>
> I run several stable news servers too (soon to be more)...  Mr. Rivers
> seems to be running a "stress test from hell" configuration  :-(

I read some mail someone showed me, not long ago... I think it was from
the NetBSD lists... Some guy stating (in some argument with a Linux hacker)
that "Your machine is probably idle while you read this", upon which the
Linux hacker said "No, it's not. I fire up 40 creashmes in init".

I'd say that linux hacker is boooored ;-)

Then again, I know a friends 2.1.5 machine rebooted after running 30
seconds of "crashme". Firing up _40_ at boot time, just for kicks,
must mean he can get a lot more out of Linux's vm/fs system then we can
get out of FreeBSD's, when it comes to stablilty. If you want to stress
the machine, and shake out bugs, "crashme" seems quite a nice stresser
for the system, doing a lot of mean stuff, but nothing illegal (which
should not be possible anyway, or the system is not very safe, or?) as
far as I know. I know we got HUGE amounts of "sig 10 recieved" when
running crashme. So, if crashme is not reading longs out of alignment,
or so, then there is a problem in the system somewhere.

Anyone tried to fire up 40 crashmes and wait? Should produce nice output
for debugging a stressed system, no?

   /Mikael