Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 1995 12:52:05 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Firewalling one interface using IPFW?

Is it possible to setup packet filtering on one interface w/out affect
the rest of the network interfaces?

Basically, my current setup is I've got a SunOS box running
MorningStar's PPP implemenation (very nice) which two modem connections.
The first connection is my full-time network connection.  This
connection allows any connection from certain 'trusted'
machines/networks, filters out all other incoming ftp/telnet
connections, dis-allows all UDP information in/out.  This works very
well for this connection.  However, I also use the same box for generic
incoming PPP connections for my co-worker, who dials in from home.  With
this connection *any* sort of traffic is allowed.

We're moving away from the Sun and installing a FreeBSD PC to handle all
of our network traffic, so it will be our main DNS box, PPP server,
router, the whole works.  This is a much better (and cheaper) solution
than buying a Cisco or other router, since this box does it all and we
can leave it in the corner and never worry about it every again
(hopefully).

In any case, we'd like to be able to be able to provide the same
functionality in FreeBSD as we currently have with MorningStar w/regards
to packet filtering.  The current PPP implementation seems to have all
of the other features of MorningStar, so we're only missing the
filtering capability.  We will have at least 2 incoming and 1 outgoing
PPP connections, so the solution must not be too much of a resource hog,
plus we may be adding another 1-2 PPP connections depending on our job
search from Montana hires.

Clues or hints would be appreciated,

Thanks!

Nate

ps.  We are attempting to get MorningStar to do a FreeBSD product, but
given the current PPP implementation in FreeBSD it may be a hard-sell.