Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 09:27:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        arthur doyle <baker21b@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Tue, 21 Oct 1997, arthur doyle wrote:

> I am trying to download the a typical FreedBSD distribution from
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.2-RELEASE/  onto my office
> harddrive as I want to back this all up onto zip drive and bring it home
> to load on my personal machine. However, if I use Netscape to download
> the files, I have to do them individually, which will take well...
> forever.
>
> Therefore, I would like to use my FTP program which allows me to select
> multiple files and download these with one go. Could you please tell me
> what the FTP address of this site is and if it's an anonymous FTP site.
> Thanks.

Take a look at the URL you just typed:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.2-RELEASE/

Hm, what does this mean?  :-)

ftp:// -- method, in this case FTP
ftp.freebsd.org -- site to pull from
/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.2-RELEASE -- path to view

BTW 2.2.5 should be out by now and I suggest installing that instead.
2.2.2 had some major bugs in the installer.

Hope this helps!