Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 15:21:32 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Recent interface/routing changes breaks on-demand PPP (+sppp)

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 01:36:39PM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> On 30 Mar, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> >>  - if I put the interface down the first time after a login I have to
> >>    readd the defaultroute (only once, after additional "ifconfig
> >>    down/up" I didn't have to readd the defaultroute, it stays)
> >>
> > This is only possible if you have a routing daemon running.
>
> I didn't have a routing daemon running.
>
> > Otherwise, if the default route points to interface X, and
> > you execute ``ifconfig X down'', all routes through X will
> > be deleted including the default.  Previously, the routing
> > code did not delete ``static'' routes, now it does.
>
> What to do in this situation? I didn't want add the defaultroute
> everytime (POLA).

But if we don't do this, we may end up using the wrong source IP
address.  Without my fixes, try this:

1)  ifconfig isp1 X.X.X.1 ....
2)  route add default -iface isp1
3)  ifconfig isp1 X.X.X.2
4)  ping some outside host
5)  watch the packets will go from the wrong address (X.X.X.1)

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,