Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 10:58:03 -0800
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
To:        Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@nojunk.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: can't make certain ports

Salvo Bartolotta wrote:

> Dear Joseph,
>
> I have wondered why my KDE metaport was made and yours was not.
>
> 1) you (pkg)deleted all kde-related items; which deletes the
> corresponding entries in /var/db/pkg; the old packages should have
> disappeared and so they should have become unavailable to the "make"
> commands;
>
> 2) you issued "make clean", which delets source code and makes sure
> the "make" command will unpack and compile the new source code; BTW,
> did you check it had actually worked for all KDE subports ?
>
> The only difference between my anomalous experimental situation (two
> ports tree, for testing purposes) and yours concerns the tarballs.
>
> I wonder whether the "make" command looks for the tarballs in
> /usr/ports/distfiles and believes it has downloaded the *new* (or some
> of the new) tarballs. If this is the case (I am afraid so), weird
> results follow, much like the ones you describe (kdenetwork port NOT
> working).

But I didn't have the *old* tarballs on the machine.  I had installed
kde previously as a binary package from the cdrom.  Isn't that what you
are saying?  That it might see the old tarball and think it was the new
one?

> My experience with both the Gnome and KDE metaport seems to indicate
> that the metaport mechanism is sometimes cheated into believing it has
> fetched, compiled or installed some of the new components.
>
> In fact, I was able to overcome the difficulties easily (via make
> deinstall) because I had taken *another* snapshot of the ports
> collection, and thus I had complete control over both the old and the
> new ports tree mechanism. I am paranoid when it comes to software
> conflicts ...

I had just updated the ports tree.  Wouldn't that insure that everything
was clean?
If only I understood the mechanisms behind it all...

--
Best Regards, Joseph

	You will do foolish things,
     but do them with enthusiasm.  Colette.