Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 18:19:00 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        "Brian K . Walters" <bkwalters@lucent.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Broken ports... (Re: w3m make craps out  was Re: Lynx forbidden)

> Since I originally had that error message I updated the ports via cvsup from
> the ports-supfile in /usr/share/examples/cvsup.  I originally had the
> default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4 which just seemed to delete everything in
> the ports subdirectories so I did it again with the tag=. which the docs
> said should just update to the latest files.
>
> I tried to make w3m again and got the same error message as before.  Did I
> do the ports update correctly? I'm a FreeBSD newbie so excuse my ignorance
> regarding this.

I'm very much of a newbie myself, so I don't know. I too have experienced
problems with some ports. In some cases (eg pstoedit) I got around it
by compiling with gcc 2.95 / g++ 2.95 instead of the stock version.
In some cases it turned out that specifying a disable-nls config option
broke the port (iirc, blowfish was an example). In other cases I never
figured it out.

You seem to be running 4.0 -- I'm running 3.4, could that be the problem?
Is there some major change in 4.0 that this port does not handle properly?

What can the other causes of non-working ports be? I'm interested in
knowing.