Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2011 09:17:55 +0100
From:      Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
To:        Maxim Khitrov <max@mxcrypt.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-pf@freebsd.org" <freebsd-pf@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PF from OpenBSD 4.7

On 20 Feb 2011, at 23:16, Maxim Khitrov <max@mxcrypt.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 4:16 PM, jhell <jhell@dataix.net> wrote:
>>=20
>> On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 13:27, eirnym@ wrote:
>>>=20

>>>=20
>>> Differences between pf45 and pf47 are more smaller than between pf45
>>> and current pf.
>>>=20
>>> I've found them, but there no status about. Should I ask same question
>>> in freebsd-current@ mail list?
>>>=20
>>=20
>> Difference being that after pf45 there was a syntax change that is nearly=

>> incompatible with the current pf41-45 syntax so AFAIR based on that pf45 w=
as
>> voted as the most likely to be merged into HEAD.
>>=20
>> There is an email from Theo @openbsd.org about the syntactic changes that=

>> have made people a little jumpy at adopting pf > 45 but eventually it wil=
>> work its way in.
>>=20
>> What advantages to using pf47 over using pf45 have you found in ``real us=
e''
>> ? and how realistic are those changes for the masses ?
>=20
> The firewall (FreeBSD 7.3) that I manage at work currently contains 36
> nat/rdr rules and 39 filter rules. It's responsible for passing
> traffic between 4 different networks. After reading the OpenBSD pf
> FAQ, the biggest advantage that I see of pf47+ is the ability to
> combine related filter/nat/rdr rules, making the entire ruleset easier
> to maintain.
>=20

See it another way, you've got as little as 70 rules to maintain, overall.

I have 1k ish spread over roughly 20 PF boxes.

While I yearn for the ability to use include directives and such, my main co=
ncern remains that during an upgrade the risk be minimal.

> Personally, I would love to see the latest version of pf make it into
> FreeBSD 9 or even one of the 8.x releases. Compatibility with existing
> syntax is not as important to me as the ability to simplify my set of
> rules.
>=20

As a matter of fact and without considering wether this would be doable or n=
ot:

It would be awesome to be able to choose in the kernel config file the desir=
ed version for pf.

Have both pf45 and pf47, with the current "pf" entry referring to pf45 not t=
o break anything.

Would that even be feasible guys ?