Date:      25 Feb 1998 11:43:51 +0100
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A web-based FreeBSD configuration tool.

Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net> writes:
>  - You could come up snooping the ethernet
>  - probe & find an unused IP address
>  - look for DNS query packets - looking for a 'magic name' (install.freebsd.org)
>  - if you see that, send a reply out the ethernet with your IP address.
>
> So, I'd put the boot floppy in the machine, hit reset, go over to my web browser
> and type in http://install.freebsd.org. If the machine hadn't booted, I'd
> get a web page from FreeBSD stating that. Once the machine had booted,
> the next time a hit 'refresh' on the browser, I'd get the first page of the
> install dialog.

No you wouldn't, because the correct IP for install.freebsd.org would
have been cached, so you'd keep getting the "web page from FreeBSD
stating that [the machine hadn't booted]".

Also, "probe & find an unused IP address" is not something I would
want to do (or allow) on any IP network I should have the
(dis)pleasure of administrating.

A laptop and a null-modem cable - now we're talking...

--
"I have a closed mind. It helps keeping the rain out." (Michael Press on a.s.r)