Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 16:14:31 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        nadav@barcode.co.il (Nadav Eiron)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: XF86 & fvwm Problem, Help? (fwd)

Nadav Eiron writes:

> On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> Jerry Dunham writes:
>>>
>>> Branson Matheson babbled:
>>>
>>> So far, this seems to be terrible advice.  I messed with xdm more this
>>> morning, and it does exactly what he says it does - automagically restart.
>>> I am completely unable to get out of it.
>>
>> Bummer, isn't it?  FWIW, I've just got a free SCO Open Deathtrap, and
>> it does just the same thing, though first it kills your mouse so you
>> can't do anything inside X either.
>>
>>> If I've logged in as root I can
>>> get back to the login screen, but I can't quit from there: ^D doesn't work
>>> and neither does your suggestion of ^[alt]-[backspace].
>>
>> ctrl-alt-backspace will kill the X server, which xdm will then
>> cheerfully restart.
>>
>>> The only way out seems to be to login as root and type "shutdown -h
>>> now".  If I've logged in as dunham I can't even do that, and su
>>> doesn't work.
>>
>> Fix your /etc/group (yes, I know I've told you, but I'm copying
>> -questions): assuming your name is dunham, change the line reading
>>
>> wheel:*:0:root,grog,bin
>>
>> to read
>>
>> wheel:*:0:root,grog,bin,dunham
>>
>> su looks at this to decide whether to let you su or not.
>>
>>> I'm going back to startx, unless you can give me some reason why I
>>> should consider xdm that isn't obvious to the uninitiated, and tell
>>> me how to REALLY get out of it.
>>
>> xdm is great for people who never want (nor need) to see a character
>> mode display.  Unfortunately, not everything runs under X, and xdm
>> effectively takes away some of your freedom.  I use xinit myself, and
>> for the life of me I can't recall what the difference is from startx.
>> Not much, anyway.  You could consider them interchangeable.
>>
>> Greg
>>

> I don't know what your other problems are, but you can always use a
> character interface on another virtual console even if xdm is running.
> The only different is you need to use ctrl-alt-Fx instead of just Alt-Fx
> to switch consoles.

Thanks.  I didn't know that.

> FWIW you may have more than one X server running as
> well (just like you have more than one virtual character cell console).
>
> If you want to kill xdm - simply do it! Do ps auxw | grep xdm, and you'll
> see something like:
> root       156  0.0  0.0   292    0  ??  IW   Tue07PM    0:00.09
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm
>
> Just kill that! (with kill -9 156, for example). This would kill xdm for
> good (at least if you started it from rc.local and not from /etc/ttys).

Yes, I did know that.  A word of warning, though: I believe you that
this works on FreeBSD, at least some of the time, but I've seen it
really screw up other related systems (specifically BSD/OS), and I
suspect that it might happen on FreeBSD too with different X servers
or different display boards.  Obviously, if you find no other way out,
you can try it, but it might be better just to reboot.

> I didn't follow this thread from the beginning, so if my input is
> irrelevant please ignore it.

Thanks, it's been useful.

Greg