Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 1996 22:37:21 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        Rich Siggs <rich@goliath.spirit.net.au>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q: exportable DES library & "DES How To" for 2.1-STABLE

>   But 1.1 didn't use MD5 and you only got DES if you specifically
> installed it.  2.1 can use MD5 or DES.  Stock 1.1 used something different.

Uh..  Perhaps there's some confusion (on my part, most likely).  I
thought he was talking about the *dual* encryption feature whereby MD5
and DES keys would be recognised and proplerly decrypted even if they
were mixed together in the same password file.  That didn't come until
post-2.1.

Yes, it's perfectly possible to make the choice between one or the
other and just run one - that's worked for awhile now.

					Jordan