Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 13:47:49 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Mark Huizer <freebsd@dohd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB modem?

Mark Huizer <freebsd@dohd.org> types:
> Does anyone here have experience on tryuing to add USB devices?

I do.

> I have a USB modem here, (Siemens), that I would like to get to work
> under FreeBSD, but I can't even find the right tools to get vendor and
> product ID's to add to usbdevs :-(

Try looking in dmesg - USB device that don't have known product and
vendor ID's have theirs printed. Failing that, check the usbdevs(8)
man page.

The serious catch about USB modems is that they have to support the
USB CDC spec. Not all of them do. If it does, the serial device will
be umodem0 (1, 2, 3, ...), and you use it just like a tty line tied to
an external modem.

	<mike
--
Mike Meyer					http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for rates.