Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 13:55:17 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   100BASE-TX hubs

[This is somewhat off-topic but it seemed likely that a few people reading
this list might know the answer]

I was thinking of building a small 100BASE-TX network at home to try and
stress-test our NFS code and also investigate its performance.  It seems
to me that I need a hub of some kind but I can't find any reasonably
priced 100BASE-TX products at all.  The best I can come up with is the SMC
5108TX which at $1595 for 8 ports (and I only want two or three) is wildly
expensive compared to an 8 port 10BASE-TX hub.

Are there any suppliers of low cost 100Mbps ethernet hubs out there
(preferably with a UK distributor)?  Alternatively, can I avoid a hub
altogether?  I vaguely remember something about a wire-swapped cable which
could connect two systems together.  How would I go about buying/making
such a cable?

On the other hand, maybe I will just scrounge some old 10Mbps equipment
:-(

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 251 4411