Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 1997 05:19:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentuim or Pentuim Pro ?

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Steve Passe wrote:

Hi Steve,

> > 	I thought the TX was supposed to be better than the HX chipset.
> only in the minds of intel sales reps...

	Actually, it wasn't Intel sales reps.  It was the ASUS homepage.

> > At any rate, is it better to get the new ASUS TX97 motherboards with the
> > TX chipset or the HX?
> hx.

	That's what I got today.  The ASUS XP55TP2 HX based ATX board.
The reason was simply the TX was a upgrade to the VX and only supported
64MB of ram for the cache and not 512MB like the HX did.

> >  Also, is the ATX form-factor the way to go or is
> > the standard AT footprint still supported even for future motherboards?
> > I'm thinking about getting another machine but didn't know if I should go
> > the ATX route or not.  Like what are the advantages and disadvantages of
> > ATX?
>
> I really like the ATX, advantages include:
>
>  all cards slots are full length

	I thought even the non-ATX, all slots were still full length?

>  onbaord serial/parallel connectors are on the MB, no cables.

	Only problem with that is both serial ports are 9 pins, some
devices need straight 25 pin wiring.  Another thing is USB is standard
with the ATX boards and also PS/2 mouse while it isn't on the non-ATX.

> disadvantasges:
>
>  you need an ATX case, the selection of which is pretty dismal at this point.

	That's what I got, for some reason, my case can be ATX or AT
simply by changing the power supply.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]