Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 10:27:17 -0600
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        pat.groce@state.sd.us
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: unix is a problem: free bsd doesn't help

On Nov 11, 1998 at 10:01:11AM -0600, pat.groce@state.sd.us wrote:
> We had been running freebsd for 4 years to handle our internet email. Last
> week the hard drive crashed on the system. I had a tape backup of important
> files so i reinstalled using the new freebsd 3.0 version.

Let me get this straight; You had a system crash, so instead of
re-installing a known good system, you upgrade a production system
to the bleeding edge (3.0) without any prior testing?

Honestly, this was a mistake, and the version that should have
been installed was installed was 2.2.7.

> cryptic errors. Sendmail keeps giving me an error:
> sendmail[131]: NOQUEUE: low on space (have 0, SMTP-DAEMON needs 101 in
> /var/spool/mqueue)

So, sendmail gives you an error message saying that it is out of
disk space, and you blame it on sendmail?  No offense, but it
sounds to me like the system isn't configured correctly.

> To hell with FreeBSD. We are replacing all of the systems with NT versions
> of sendmail. And it works great! I neat little GUI makes sendmail and the
> Exchange listservs easy to manage.The software may cost more, but in terms
> of staff time, we're saving thousands, not to mention all the frustration.
>
> I read all the news on how unix is going to give microsoft a run for the
> operating system market. I don't believe it for a second.

You are welcome to your opinion.  If NT works better for you,
then by all means, use it.

FreeBSD is powerful, and can do anything that you want it to do.
However, it setting it up and maintaining it does require more
knowledge on the administrator's part than NT.  In return, it
can provide "years of trouble-free operation"(tm).

You did note that FreeBSD handled your email for 4 years before a
harddrive crash.  Please feel free to give us a summary in 4 years
from now of how well NT behaves in doing the same task.
--
Jonathan