Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 06:10:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Thomas Quinot <quinot@inf.enst.fr>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/26650: sftp-client missing.

The following reply was made to PR bin/26650; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Thomas Quinot <quinot@inf.enst.fr>
To: Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:04:08 +0200

 Le 2001-04-18, Peter Pentchev écrivait :

 > There is an SFTP client in the ftp/sftp port; I believe the goal was to provide
 > a server (which has to interoperate somewhat closer with the SSH server),
 > and leave users to pick an SFTP client of their choice - like, say, the one
 > from the ssh.com's SSH distribution, if there is one there (haven't looked
 > at it in quite a while).

 The ftp/sftp port is the first version of the sftp client and server.
 This version has been deprecated by the (incompatible) sftp-server which
 is part of the current OpenSSH distribution. The client from the port
 cannot be used with the OpenSSH sftp-server; its documentation mentions
 that version 1 is deprecated, and that the client and server from OpenSSH
 should be used instead:

 "sftp(0.9.6)

 NEW: Now that openssh supports the ssh2 sftp protocol, there's probably no
 reason to use this program anymore, unless you like it better. There probably
 won't be any new versions, for the same reason. "

 (http://www.xbill.org/sftp/)

 --
 Thomas Quinot ** Département Informatique & Réseaux ** quinot@inf.enst.fr
               ENST   //   46 rue Barrault   //   75634 PARIS CEDEX 13