Date:      Fri, 5 Jun 1998 17:44:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ian Huang <ihuang@mynet.ml.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: D-Link ethernet and Thinkpad

> > i think i have had the same problem. I have a no-name card which
> > presents itself as IC-CARD IC-CARD, but some of the drivers on the disk
> > refer to the DE-650 so i suppose it is almost a clone.
> > This card (at least mine) does not have auto media select, and defaults to
> > using the UTP media. There is a dos/windows program which allows you to
> > set the media. It is fairly short (about 1KB) so i am looking at it.
> >
> > All it seems to do is toggle one bit in some of the card's registers.
> > However, it appears to do it in a fairly complicated way, by banging
> > bits in some of the PCIC register. Maybe some of this functionality is
> > already duplicated in  pccardc/pccardd but i am not (yet) familiar with
> > this code...
> >
> > so, our only option thus far is to switch to windows, run the program,
> > and hope that the configuration is persistent :)
>
> This card isn't one that you can prise open, is it?  I have a "Danpex"
> card here which is fairly trivial to open, using a Tamerack chip.  It
> does auto media selection, so I've never bothered to go further than
> that, but it might be feasible to get documentation for some of the
> more common PCCARD 'net chips and write some grubby-little-hack
> programs to do this...

Nope, this card is laser welded shut. I had freebsd 2.2.6 with PAO working
fine with this card on a NEC Versa 6030H. The DE-660CT does auto media
selection, so there is no need to toggle the card's registers manually.
You are probably just having IO address or IRQ conflicts. You might have
to use the IO address Windows uses. It's something like 0x120 on mine.