Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 20:29:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: using tcpdump effectively

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> To trace down why some network based X11 sessions are spuriously failing
> I' trying to use tcpdump.
>
> What sporadically happens is that a X session to our Mentor Design Architect
> running on HP  is ceased and the connection breaks (we login via rlogin
> and start the X client with DISPLAY set to the FreeBSD machine.)
>
> When the connection breaks we see something like 'no route to host'

Most likely the client is loosing the network connection to the host,
either by damage to the routing tables on the client or on an intermediate
network device. Run a traceroute to the HP box when MDA crashes and see if
it fails anywhere.

> Could that be caused by denial of service attacks? What exactly is a denial
> of service attack?

A denial of service attack (DoS) attempts to keep a machine from being
servicable by overwhelming it with requests or by disabling a server,
rending it useless.

NOTICE:  Make sure your mailer replies to dwhite@resnet or I won't get it!