Date:      Sun, 29 Jun 1997 12:25:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: login.conf

On Sat, 28 Jun 1997, Allen Campbell wrote:
> Is the /ect/login.conf optional?  I just installed FreeBSD 2.2.2 and in

Yes and no.  It's required for quiet operation but the system will
work fine (albeit with lots of console messages) without it.

> an effort to discover why I could not login as root from a psuedo
> terminal, I discovered that login.conf was not installed in /etc.

You really don't want to have root logging in an psuedo terminals.
Log in as a normal user and then su to root if you need to.

This is not new to 2.2.2 BTW.  If you really want to do this
change the terminal entries in /etc/ttys to secure, see the console
entry.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com